www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local non-profit asked for my help in a low cost solution...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhaddow
Posted once

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Local non-profit asked for my help in a low cost solution... Reply with quote

I have a failed Western digital 1 TB drive, model number wd10eadx. It was at my girlfriend's place of work, a local non-profit, and housed in the original external case. The only event that is known to have happened that could have lead to the failure was a power outage shortly before it stopped working. I now have the drive in a Thermaltake Blacx to ensure that it is simply the bare drive I am dealing with. Of course I have only powered it up to ensure that it is not working and am not leaving it on or trying again and again.

Upon booting I get a series of 15 clicks, then it stops, and again 15 clicks. It cycles on like this, and I have let it go for a maximum of five cycles of 15 clicks.

The non-profit has basically no budget for data recovery, but I'd like to try everything within my power to get the data on this drive recovered for them. I can and will do whatever diagnostics are recommended. Though I am not versed in this sort of thing, am experienced with computers enough to be able to give it a good shot. I've read a bit about freezing the drive as well as replacing the controller board. I'd probably want to stay away from freezing except as a last resort.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: