www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found a Vaio in the woods buried under a rock!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbudrick
Active contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Found a Vaio in the woods buried under a rock! Reply with quote

So I'm clearing an area of my yard (lived here 8 years), cutting down trees, getting rid of piles of brush, large rocks, prickly bushes, etc., when I get to a corner of my yard I've never really been able to see with all the plant growth. A Vaio desktop computer was halfway under a very large rock. Suuuuper weird. I'm pretty freaked out. Not normal. Spidey senses going haywire. I grabbed a shovel and pried it out with very little effort.

Someone certainly wasn't diligent, if they were trying to hide this thing. Anyway, there's an 80GB IDE seagate in there. I pry it out and try to boot it up, but naturally, No. In my USB enclosure, it spun and clicked a few times but was unrecognized (red led on external HDD enclosure). I realized one of the 4 power connector pins is loose, so I solder is back in place. Same results. The next day, no sound at all, nothing, but blue LED, which is usually good. But no.

Here's the pics:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuIuS6qrlbl0jShQcejJFDrw6U3y

You'll notice that zip file has the front and back of the motherboard, but not the top label of the HDD. The top label was on a rubber sheath that went around the drive that I accidentally threw out like and idiot. Otherwise the drive itself has no label on the actual metal top. I blame booze. It's not at fault, but I blame it. I do see a small barcode on the edge labelled 5GC10WJD, but I really doubt that helps. I only remember the top rubber sheath said it was a Seagate 80GB drive.

Anyway. hoping someone has a working replacement MBD suitable for this drive based on the info here.. I'd love to see what's on it!

I don't think I'll have a way of getting you the info from the top label. I guess I could look at the actual tower case I left in the woods/edge of my yard and try to search Sony's site for the HDD model #, but I think that's probably a dead end. If 100% necessary, I'll try to do exactly that. Let me know if there's more I can do. Not sure how many New England winters this HDD sat in.

-Rob
JaredDM
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be a U6 model. That picture of the pcb is too blurry for me to read it, but to find a replacement you'd need to first match the number on the white sticker on the pcb. It should be something like: 100191545

However without the top cover label, you'll only be guessing at the firmware code, so will have to try quite a few before you'll find the matching FW version.

Specializing in RAID Recovery Services
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> Hard drives wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: