www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fried my Seagate hard drive! It was awesome!....not really.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L-U-R-C-H
Officially active!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Fried my Seagate hard drive! It was awesome!....not really. Reply with quote

Hey guys my computer was having some weird problems and so I opened the case up and just sat my hard drive on the edge of the case (I have done it before) and it just so happens that this time the metal from the case touched the circuit board on the bottom and it made a spark and now she won't even turn on.

So yeah, I'm thinking the data itself on the hard drive is still recoverable. I think replacing the PCB should solve the problem but as I have read other people's stories it's not always going to work. Here are my Seagate hard drive specifications:

Model: ST3320620AS
P/N: 9BJ14G-305
Firmware: 3.AAE

If anyone knows where I might be able to find a replacement PCB, that would be great!

Thanks!
Matt Rittman
happyhappy
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are on track. My drive died in similar fashion and a board swap saved my butt.

I don't have a drive with the right board. Here is my suggestion:

Go to eBay and find used drives similar to yours. Check out the ones that have actual photos of the drive. You may find one with the same firmware. For others that sound like possibilities, ask the seller what firmare version it is. Be specific about what info from the label you want-they may not be that knowledgable. And keep your requests simple. I did this with 15-20 drives and got a 90% response rate.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: