www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Drive failure BEEB VIDEO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muzak
Active contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive failure BEEB VIDEO Reply with quote

I am not sure what is going on with my drive but this site gives me hope that it may be fixable. First, I am not sure if it is a mechanical or electrical failure?

I was working on a friend’s mac with my external hard drive, I ejected my drive, thinking all was safe I unplugged it. I received this error “The device you removed was not properly put away. Data might have been lost or damaged. Before you unplug your device, you must first select its icon in the Finder and choose Eject from the File menu.”
Then to add insult to injury my friend accidentally knocked my external hard drive.

Now, my drive will now not be recognized by the computer and it makes a “beep” sound every ten seconds or so.

Video of the problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFKlSQXF3A

I checked the cables, taken the drive out of its external enclosure and plugged it directly into the computer but to no avail.

Is there away to check a non booting disk using disk utilities or some other software? If so, how?

2. I would like to try a logic board swap
The drive is
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
300 gb
Firmware: 3.AAH
P/N: 98D044-304
Site Code: TK

I have another Seagate Barracuda 7200.9, it has the same firmware, but different P/N, size and site code. Would it still work? Should one even do a board swap if failed drive is not completely dead? i.e. making noises, spinning slowly?

3. The freezer option?

Great site and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by muzak on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
LarryB
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a board swap the Site and PN must match exactly.

How bad did your ex-friend "Knock" the drive?

If it was hit hard, specially if it was running one of your heads might have crashed into the disk surface. Lose one head you have no data until someone replaces that head. (You need all of the heads to get any data because it reads from all of heads at the same time).

The freezer option only worked once for me after trying about 50 drives. The big thing, make sure you seal it tight in a plastic bag or the water condensation will short out more things and make matters worse.
muzak
Active contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex- friend (lol) walked into the external harddrive. The drive was sitting on the floor so the fall was not that great.

Now it is making a beeb sound every few seconds and the computer will not recognize the drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFKlSQXF3A

Do you recommend a board swap?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> General chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: