www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maxtor 6gb from my old Packard Bell not working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest123456789

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Maxtor 6gb from my old Packard Bell not working. Reply with quote

WEll I got two old computers from my aunt. I teared them to shreads and threw them away as they they needed big keyboards to run. i took the HD and some few Pci cards like the ethernet and extra USB. I wiped the extra HD i got(oly one computer had one) and put Damn Small Linux as this computer is old and I lost my debian disc. After playing with linux the whole night i unplugged it and put in my normal HD. I booted so I went to bed. I was bored so i played with the ide cables since the computer was not screwed together. Big mistake. The computer didn't reconize the HD. So I unscrewed the HD from the PC case and plugged it in. Perfectly normal. being stupid I tugged a tiny bit and placed it in the posutuion . Doesn't wokr. Been like this for two days now. I'm doing the freezer trick right now. Any help?
Subzuki
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Maxtor 6gb from my old Packard Bell not working Reply with quote

-What do you mean by "I was bored so i played with the ide cables"?

-Did you have the power on when you *played* with the ide cables? Did you remove them with the power on? You could have fried the logic board on the drive.

-Did you reinsert the cable backwards?

-Do you have two ide cables and get them mixed up?

-Only other thing I can think of is your bios is still looking for the original drive. If you were in the bios and you used autodetect hard drives, then it will need to be changed to auto.

Subzuki

Last edited by Subzuki on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by playing with the ide cables i mean unplugging them and plugging them back in. Bios has everything on auto by default. Power max says the exact same thing as the packard bell post screen. i just need it to wokr for half an hour to make a ghost of the image on my segate that i got from the old computers. i tried the freezer method. nothing. i tryied to lightly hit it. nothing. i hear something like a spring but no. i think the disks aren't spinning and have to be unblocked though becuase all i did was move it like two mms and it didn't work. it was lightly banged when putting it in place so it qwould make sense if the disk are stuck.
Subzuki
Deadharddrive regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: 6GB Drive Reply with quote

Well, if it isn't spinning, I still say the controller board on the drive is hosed. Especially if another drive works fine.
A long shot, but check the power connector on the drive and your power supply. I have seen the connectors (especially on the power supply connector) get pushed out of the connector if they are forced together when they don't quite line up. I know, I have done it also.
Subzuki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: