www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ijourneaux
Officially active!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Failure Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Here is my situation.

The DiamondMax Plus 9 80Gb hard drive in my wifes computer died this weekend. As I started exploring options on how to recover the few files she really needs, I came across this forum. Although I haven't read the entire thread, I think I have moved to a point where I need more help.

The drive that is toast is a YAR41BWO, 6Y080L0422651, sticker M6FYA. The drive seems to spin up when I power it on. It is recognized by the bios and other drive recovery software but any attempts to access give an error #1117

I had a DiamondMax Plus 9 160Gb hard drive where one of the IC was toasted a year ago or so. It was a YAR41BWO 6Y160P0042211, Sticker F8FYA. Figureing I had little to lose, I moved the CPU board from the 80Gb drive to the 160Gb drive. I was somewhat surprized when I could successfully read the 160Gb drive. That seems to indicate that the PCB from the 80Gb hard drive is good.

So....... since the PCB board seems to be good, what are my options now for recovering data off of the 80Gb hard drive? The drive doesn't make any suspicious noises. It just seems to spin quietly.

I tried using MHDD. The IDs it self correctly, responds correctly in INIT and Spin down but if I try to scan the drive, every sector is bad and I can hear the heads move.

I can use all of the help to avoid my wife's wrath!

Take Care all
kentucky65
Posted once

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try spinrite which performs a low level data recovery.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: