www.deadharddrive.com
Deadharddrive forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fix it myself!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Fix it myself!!! Reply with quote

I totally cannot believe it. Well, first off my hard drive AND the backup croaked. I had super important stuff (ok, digital pics from all this past year living in DC) and financials for my company on there. Pretty sure I got careless w/static electricity.

Tried to find replacement drive. No luck.

Stared at the damn thing for hours, mulling over how to get back my bits w/o paying thousand + for data reco.

There it was---looking just like a blown fuse from my 1970 VW---a fried printed wire. I've heard these called traces. Anyway, didn't think it would work, but I got out a cheap soldering iron, some crusty old solder wire, and put a blop of solder glop on there.

Guess what....I'm online via my "dead" drive right now. Wa HOO! The boys said it couldn't be done. tsk tsk.

For the rest of you out there still searching for a compatible board, try out this guy dariusale in ebay. He will clone your dead drive's ROM and send you a new board (you pay, of course, that's his deal). But this seems like a better way to go than hoping for a board that might match, because you probably know that even if you get the same kind of board and firmware, it still doesn't have the data for you particular drive, as in a map of dead sectors, etc.

Good luck to all of you. Now i'm off to celebrate my great brilliance and never-ending cheapness. SCORE!!!!
qubit
Active contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fix it myself!!! Reply with quote

xtine wrote:
For the rest of you out there still searching for a compatible board, try out this guy dariusale in ebay. He will clone your dead drive's ROM and send you a new board (you pay, of course, that's his deal).
Where did you see that he would clone your ROM? I can't find that statement anywhere. It'd sure be useful in my case.

What kind of hard drive did you fix, BTW? I wonder if fixing my fried board might be as simple as "replacing" a burnt "fuse" like you did. (But first I'd have to find it!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.deadharddrive.com Forum Index -> More stories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: